Thursday, April 16, 2009

April 16 - The End of Week 1







After about the second day, I thought to myself 'what was I thinking??' It felt like I had a mouthful of plastic, I couldn't close my teeth properly and I had a mouth full of saliva ALL THE TIME! Apparently, that's your body's way of trying to get rid of foreign objects! It was also Easter weekend and with all the food around, I didn't want to continuously take my trays on and off so, I just went without and only ate at the proper meal times. Not a bad thing cause, by day 4 I had lost about 2 pounds! I figure if I can lose about 20 pounds and get straight teeth...well....now that's a bonus!

It's now the end of the first week and I'm beginning to get used to them. Yes, just beginning. I can tell you, it feels much better with the trays in. With the aligners on my teeth, I always feel like my teeth are dirty when I don't have the trays on and so I'm constantly, constantly, FREQUENTLY, brushing AND flossing my teeth. I brush as soon as I've finished eating. Then I brush right after I've had my coffee or tea. At this rate, I'm going to need cases of toothpaste for the next 8 months! On the bright side, I've had no pain whatsoever so I can't say that they have been painful.

Unless I've told people, no one has noticed until I smile. I have aligners on right in the front so, they're quite noticeable. That's been quite the disappointment for me since I had not realized that aligners were actually like little buttons on your teeth. I have also had no problems talking. The only problem is that in some instances, I had to slow down so that my words didn't sound like I was slurring them. Not a significant issue though.

My only other issue has been when I go out for dinner. I now have to go to the bathroom, remove the trays and then immediately after eating, I go back to give my teeth a quick brush since I find that food gets stuck on the aligners. I can also 'swish water' but don't like to do that if I'm with work colleagues. Then before leaving, I go back to the bathroom once again to quickly brush and put them back in!

Week 1 is over and since I have to get 15 trays for the top, it's a total of 30 weeks. I'm now down to 29 weeks! I'm hoping I can stick it out. I keep reading all the other blogs and glad to see all of their positive results.

That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter