Sunday, July 19, 2009

The half way point and other people's teeth!

This week, I visited my ortho and he inserted Tray 8 which officially takes me to the half way point, well for the uppers at least! I'm past it for the lowers. He gave me sets 9, 10, and 11 to take with me and when I got back into the car I just couldn't believe that with the exception of one or two more visits, the regular part of my treatment would be done. How time flies! I don't have any more dramatic results happening as I did with Tray 5 but I suspect that I will begin to see more of that as I progress further along with my treatment. For now, I'm still plugging away.

What I do notice more is how acutely aware I have become of people's teeth. I had always had this sense of noticing other people's teeth because mine were always crooked and I longed for straight teeth but, never to the extent that I do now. Whether it's at work, at a party, or even shopping, I inadvertently look at people's teeth and make mental notes like: "nice and straight, crooked tops, crooked bottoms, slightly slanted, overbite, too yellow, too white, wonder if he/she ever wore braces, they look like veneers" etc!

To illustrate further, throughout the whole coverage on Michael Jackson's death, when all the commentary focused on cause of death or his cosmetic surgeries, I always searched for any comment that mentioned his teeth. Every picture where he smiled (and they're few and far between, let me tell you!), I looked at his teeth and wondered whether he too had had any work done on them, whether he had to wear any sort of braces, or whether he was blessed with straight teeth. I even looked at his pictures of younger years to see what his teeth looked like! In case you're wondering, there is no mention that I found regarding any work on his teeth! BLAH!

Obsessive? Maybe! Or, is it just a long time of me wishing to have my teeth straight and here I am, a mere few months away from this reality! Dare I say, I can cross this off my 'bucket list' in the not too distant future. I know that there may be the potential for refinements but the main part of the treatment will be over in 16 weeks (Tray 8-15)! The best part is that the main part of my treatment ends exactly on my birthday! It was not planned this way, it was merely the timing of Tray 1 to Tray 15 with each being worn for exactly two weeks! It's wonderful the way some things work out eh?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Terrie! I haven't heard from you lately; I'll be starting #7 on Friday, the 24th. No problems so far.
    I also look at people's teeth; some people are just blessed with nice straight teeth; I wasn't one of them.
    I haven't had any problems with #6; I still clean them with Dawn dish detergent & it works great. I haven't been reading the forums like I used to; I guess all my questions have been answered. I hope to hear from you! Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too- I've become more obsessive about people's teeth. I was watching Conan the Barbarian the other day, and I said to my husband, oh my god, Arnold Schwarzenegger has a gap between his front teeth! And my hubby just stared at me strangely. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You are already halfway to the road of dental perfection! Keep up with regular wearing of your Invisalign; proper maintenance will keep it in tip-top shape. I had my Invisalign done by my trusted dentist (Easley, SC) in my home town, and in a short time of wearing it, I got all my teeth straightened in a matter of just 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrie, I have to confess that after having braces from a dentist in columbia Sc, I became more observant of other people's teeth. I too, make mental notes about possible improvements on their teeth. I really think that through proper dental care anyone can get the perfect smile that they desire. There are a lot of dentists in (Columbia, Sc and other states) that can help them. It's just a matter of having the initiatve to consult and the patience the wait for the results to fully take effect.

    Good luck on your braces! Hoping for the best for you.

    ReplyDelete

Site Meter